[Qgis-user] R: Openstreetmap offline with QGIS

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:01:51 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Be aware that OSM2VectorTiles offers Vector Tiles - not the usual raster tiles.
MBTiles is an SQLite file format which can store both.
There exists no Vector Tiles reader yet for QGIS (except my
experimental project which is not working yet [1]).

But there exist solutions for local raster tiles from OSM.
Bernd explained one of them using QGIS and QuickMapServices and QTiles plugins.
You could also use GDAL at the command line to produce the MBTiles.

Another approach for a base map would be to get an (optimized) GeoTIFF
format, then load this into QGIS.

:Stefan

[1] https://github.com/geometalab/Vector-Tiles-Reader-QGIS-Plugin