[Qgis-user] Too many points to cope with one simple operation?

Luciano La Sala lucianolasala at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Aug 22 06:48:07 PDT 2016

Dear QGIS users,

I am using QGIS Essen (2.14.0) on Windows 10. I have two shapefiles, one
representing Argentina (single polygon) and the other one containing
97,921 points. I need to identify all the points that somehow fall
outside the coutry limits and save them as a new shapefile to correct
their coordinates. In doing so, I used the Spatial Query tool in the
Vector option of the menue. There, under the "Select source features
from" menue I select my points file, for the "Where the feature"
drop-down option I select "Within", and for the "Reference features of"
option, I pick my polygon file. I choose "Create new selection" and hit
"Apply", but nothing happens. The operation process box shows
"Processing 2/2 - 0%" and stays like that forever until I must close the
program.

Is this because of the large amount of points that I am having QGIS
handle at once? Potential solutions will be much appreciated!!!

--
Dr. Luciano F. La Sala
Departamento de Biología, Bioquímica y Farmacia

---