[Qgis-user] "live" openstreetmap data in qgis

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Wed Aug 31 15:10:40 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-29 02:56, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org> writes:
>
>> at the moment there are various ways to add openstreetmap data to
>> qgis. as far as i can tell, they all rely upon downloading a
>> .osm/obf/pbf file in some semi-automated way and importing it. none of
>> the existing tools allow for any existing data to be deleted and
>> replaced with the new.
>>
>> what i would like to do is add a "live" layer to my qgis projects,
>> such that any data is periodically and transparently re-downloaded and
>> updated. for those of you who are familiar with JOSM, this would be
>> similar to the "continuos download" [sic] plugin for that software.
>
> Two thoughts (and note that I don't use qgis yet, but do map for OSM):
>
>   OSM resources can be somewhat easily overwhelmed, so some care in
>   understanding the load put on servers is in order, unless you are
>   talking about downloading from someplace outside of OSM that you're
>   paying for access, etc.

the data we are getting is currently around 1MB of .osm files. we may
get more in future, but nowhere near enough to cause any problems.

>   People sometimes import OSM into postgis, and then apply
>   daily/hourly/minutely diff files to keep their database up to date.
>   Doing this and having qgis operate from the live database seems like
>   plausible way to do what you want.  A local database could also
>   support other uses such as tile generation.

yep, the workflow at the moment is to periodically use osm2pgsql to
import new overpass-sourced data into postgis, but it's fiddly and
requires me to maintain sql (i hate sql...) statements to process the
data correctly, set up primary keys, maintain .style files, etc.

i was hoping for something in existence already. maybe i build a thing
myself out of my kludgy scripts and publish it.

--
robin