[Qgis-user] QGIS releases announced too early IMHO

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 19:59:27 PST 2016

Despite being a non-Mac user, I respectfully disagree....
Mainstream users should not have to wait until packages for ALL systems have been built. Some minor ports may take someone a while to complete - & others need not be waiting on this.
A QGIS release announcement is NOT a promise that every OS out there will have a new package ready to go at the same time... It says only that the developers of the Open Source package QGIS have a new set of Open Source for people to access & use.
I believe the wider user community are incredibly well served by both the devs & the packagers (as a user of Windows, Ubuntu (dev version) & OpenSuse packages) and would like express my appreciation here!!
If a packager has not built you a package when you want, compile it from the new source - that is what open source is fundamentally about. Though personally I, being lazy & not a dev by any means, just wait for the package except on Ubuntu (actually Mint) where my desire to play with the bleeding edge is enabled by the the nightly dev build - a wonderful resource!
That said, I see that the response is to try & do better - we cannot ask for more :-)

Cheers
Brent Wood