[Qgis-user] Question about a Custom SR!

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 3 14:11:15 PST 2016

On 03/03/2016 02:02 PM, Daniel Basile wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new user! I've downloaded QGIS just yesterday, and I think is a
> great program.
> I'm italian, anyway, the problem is:
>
> I have some coordinates, with a EPSG:4326 SR, from Google Maps.
> Using the "OpenLayers" Plugin, I'm opening the OpenStreetMap Layer with a
> EPSG:3857 SR.
> I've imported the coordinates in a degrees form with the "Create a Layer
> from a Delimited Text" function.
> All is working, but there's a problem with the X coordinates or the
> Longitude. Anything is slighty off to west by 300-400 meters, and by 5-10
> meters to south!
> The solution I choose is to make a "Custom SR", but I can't do it.
>
> The EPSG:4326 say: "+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"
>
> I've tried to insert a "+x_0=(space)" a "+lon_0=(degrees)", but without any
> results.
> The coordinates will return to a "0,0" point of the map, as the SR isn't
> correct at all.
> Probably with a "+proj=merc" the solution is simple, I don't know.
>
> There's anything I'm missing? There's a method to shift any coordinates to
> the east(or right) of the map?
> Why Google Maps isn't working inside OpenLayers giving a Blank Page?
>
> Thanks to anyone will give me a reply, and have a nice day! ;)
>
> OS: Windows 7 64Bit
> Qgis Version 2.14

Try the QuickMapServices plugin instead. Weird offsets can happen with
the Openlayers plugin depending on your zoom and projection on the fly
settings (should always be set to 3857 for that plugin)

A custom projection should not be needed if your coordinates are truly
Lat/Lon WGS (aka 4326).

Thanks,
Alex