[Qgis-user] Find text string in old Maps

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Tue Mar 8 09:45:34 PST 2016

Fellow QGIS users,

I have rasters of old maps covering the entire country, what I would
like to do is search the raster for a specific line of text, and
generate a point file for every instance of the text found.
I know in theory this should be possible, I was wondering if any one has
done it, or does anyone have any suggestions?
The text style and size would be uniform, along with the wording, the
only thing liable to vary is the orientation. I thought about running a
classification on the raster, training it to look for the pattern, but
thought I might put it out there, as someone of you may have a better
suggestion.

Regards & thanks,

Richard.

OPW - Ag féachaint don am atá le teacht - Ag caomhnú ón am atá thart
OPW - Looking to the future - Caring for the past