[Qgis-user] Re: How to create valid new shapefiles with qgis and a buffer around?

Nathan Broaddus nathan.broaddus at nbtsolutions.com
Thu May 5 07:13:02 PDT 2016

When creating a buffer, around a point or polygon, projection matters.
You'll have to reproject your layer into a frojection that is measured in
feet or meters. As you can see in your projection details, your map units
are degrees. If you make a buffer, your buffer will also be in degrees, or
will fail to compute. For example, I reproject from WGS_84 to the State
Plane projection (in feet or meters, depending on which unit I want to use
to calculate my buffer) corresponding to my US State, create my buffer,
then reproject the result back into EPSG 4326, WGS_84.

--
Nathan Broaddus
GeoData Analyst