[Qgis-user] desperately needing help on QGIS server

Kuan Song songkuan at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 21:32:13 PDT 2016

Currently, when I type the following in firefox:http://localhost:81/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?map=pudong.qgs&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3&REQUEST=GetProjectSettings
An sensible XML is returned.But if I use http://localhost:81/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?map=pudong.qgs&SERVICE=WMSthen the response is:<ServiceException code="InvalidFormat">Output format '' is not supported in the GetMap request</ServiceException>

>From the perspective of a very newbie, I thought the purpose of the .qgs file is to provide QGIS server all the necessary parameters such as layers and projections and bounding box coordinates, so that QGIS server displays what we normally see in QGIS desktop by default. WYCIWYG. Obviously my understanding is wrong.
Could someone teach me to tame the beast? Now that the QGIS server seems running, which web address would make QGIS server miraculously display in firefox the QGIS desktop content of a project?
Thanks a million.