[Qgis-user] QGIS in production environment

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Sun May 22 23:38:39 PDT 2016

Hi,

we have been running QGIS together with PostGIS in a municipal GIS
(city, some 100000 inhabitants) since at least 7 years. We run QGIS
server on the intranet and, together with QGIS WebClient, on the
internet [1]. We use LTS QGIS 64bit on Win7, servers are on Ubuntu.

We started with some projects and now have about 30 of them (project =
data model for a specific purpose), the number is increasing every year.
We do not have commercial support but build what we need ourselves. I
can highly recommend the PostGIS data source together with QGIS
(versatility, speed). For ease of data input I created a plugin [2]. I
do almost all spatial operations (there are not many unfortunately :) on
PostGIS. We use PyJasper [3] (JasperReports for Python) for any pdf
output (reports, data sheets, letters), which - admittedly - is a bit
tricky.

Bottom line: The combinaton does everything we need (if it doesn't we
can have it added), users are used to QGIS (did not show them any
alternatives, though :) and - more important - convinced that it is the
right tool for their purposes (which means the data models implemented
can house their informational needs). There are not many large-scale
plots currently. We lack an easy to use web client for non-GIS staff, as
most people can not handle a full blown QGIS. QGIS WebClient II will
hopefully close this gap.

Feel free to ask any sppecific questions.

Bernhard

[1] http://www.jena.de/kartenportal
[2] https://github.com/bstroebl/DataDrivenInputMask
[3] https://github.com/bstroebl/pyJasper