[Qgis-user] QGIS in production environment

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri May 20 08:06:56 PDT 2016

I started moving a small company from Arcview/shapefiles to
qgis/postgis. They needed more commercial software and couldn't afford
it. So now we have centrally stored data and three people editing (four
if I'm there). It's nothing great or grand but this move shaved about
15k worth of expenses for upcoming software purchases and helped them
(and myself) maintain data and somewhat advance what they were doing. At
any point I could now share this out as a service or push it into
CartoDB (and feel good about it because the data is clean).

Nothing Amazing - it just worked and everyone was happy with the move.

Randy

On 05/20/2016 10:14 AM, Tyler Veinot wrote:
> Through various product demos and meetings I am coming to realize that
> much of what we want to do could be done using open source products
> like; QGIS, PostgreSQL, Leaflet or Map Server, and a Web API. So I am
> wondering if anyone is doing something similar. I know this isn't a
> specific QGIS question so I hope you will forgive me, but if anyone
> one has any suggestions on products and/or open source packages that
> leverage open source GIS and Databases to provide a GIS centric
> platform to support municipal operations asset management and maintenance.
> Thanks for the thoughts;
> Tyler

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc