[Qgis-user] Problem opening .GDB (v 10.1) using QGIS

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed May 25 07:33:25 PDT 2016

On 25-05-16 15:17, knussear wrote:
> I'm having the same problem using Qgis 2.14.2, and osx with gdal 1.11 and the
> filegdb plugin also 1.11 installed form Kyngchaos server, and the esri
> libraries installed per the instructions.
>
> Checking OGR via command line I get
>
> MacBook-Pro-2:DCP_Ecosystems knussear$ ogrinfo DCP_Ecosystems.gdb
> INFO: Open of `DCP_Ecosystems.gdb'
>       using driver `FileGDB' successful.
> MacBook-Pro-2:DCP_Ecosystems knussear$
>
> and opening in qgis gives me a red bar invalid source error using either the
> open GDB or fileGDB choice. Anyone have any advice on how to solve this?

Not sure, but I recently had a GDB from somebody which could be opened
in QGIS, but did not show anything.

Upon further investigation by Even R, he found:
"It uses the "GeneralPoint" type instead of the regular Point."
And fixed it \o/
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6478

Moral of all this:
- propriatry format tend to 'change' easily when the owner of the format
needs something (or just wants to release a newer version): prefer
(real) open file formats when you get/exchange data: gdb is smelly

- if something seems wrong: try to create a small subset of the data,
and create an issue for it with gdal or qgis and attache this test data!

- also check with latest gdal/ogr version, because as you see above it
is possible that it is already fixed, just not yet available in released
lib-versions (or your software is not yet released with that lib
version....)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde