[Qgis-user] LiDAR Data in QGIS

Nick Cummins nickmcummins at icloud.com
Fri Dec 8 14:04:17 PST 2017

The section in the link you provided refers to using LASTools in QGIS; raw LiDAR point cloud data is commonly stored in .las (or .laz) format, which can contain the additional properties described.

Just FYI, "ground hits" are usually referred to as the DTM (Digital Terrain Model). DSM (non-ground) + DTM (ground) = DEM (all points). But DTMs/DSMs/DEMs derived from processing of LiDAR point clouds are generally in some grid format, which in your case is the ESRI ArcInfo Grid (binary).

I am not very familiar with the ArcInfo Grid (.adf) format so I can't say for certain what it contains or doesn't, but it looks like there is a value attribute table (VAT), though I am doubtful it contains all the info you would get from the source .las file (and therefore you wouldn't be able to convert it in the way you're suggesting). Was there a particular attribute you were hoping to use in visualization? In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to request for the original format if feasible.