[Qgis-user] status of bug report

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Mar 4 09:29:29 PST 2017

On 04-03-17 08:32, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
> Am Sa, 4.03.2017, 08:29 schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde:
>>
>> Ah, see bugreport...
>>
>> I think it is a misconfigured wms:
>>
>> [snipped out the very long URL]
>>
>> gives an image but only at that zoomlevel...
>>
>> zooming out you do not see anything
>
> I just woke up ;) Let me read your posts and reply ASAP.
>
> But it's not the zoom level. As you can see in the animated GIF,
> attached to the bug report, I'm using the same bookmark to request
> the image.
>
> And there's a difference between the tree styles WMS menu on the left
> and the drop down one from the menu (are there any better words to
> differ both ways to load a WMS?).

I still think it is a misconfigured WMS server.

Which server are you using?
Which data are you using?

And there is definitly a scale dependence, as you can see in the
getcapabilities document:

<MaxScaleDenominator>75500</MaxScaleDenominator>

for all layer.

Which in epsg:4326 means that >1:30000 you will not see a map.

When you have layer 5 and ask QGIS to it's data extent you get:
5,50 : 10,53 which is a huge bbox !

So if you load a layer in QGiS, and nog give it a bbox, it get's the
layers default extent, which is above one, giving rise to a scale of
1:560,292 (aka a scaledenominator of >500.000 as opposed to the 75500
one when the server starts to show something.

So in short:
- WHEN you are at 1:30000 on an excisting map and load a layer it will be ok
- WHEN you are at a higher zoom level you will see nothing (a
transparent image)
- WHEN you start with an empty map, you will start at a zoomlevel which
is much to big. BUT changing the zoomlevel in the statusbar to 1:30000
will just show something.

The crux is looking at scale-dependent layers needs some context
knowledge :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde