[Qgis-user] styled vector to raster layer

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at netscape.net
Tue May 30 11:19:56 PDT 2017

I feel I am missing a basic function somewhere to "burn" (in gdal terms) a
vector layer as styled by QGIS, for example with labels, to a raster layer
(of some resolution).

The Rasterize (vector to raster) function is based on gdal_rasterize and
does not take into account styling as it focuses on preserving the actual
data.

The work around I am currently using is to use Project-Save as Image while
displaying only the styled vector layer which will generate a correct world
file helper, then loading the generated image as raster layer and assigning
the correct projection. Finally, I clip the raster with the original extent
of the vector layer.

This works but is limited as the resolution is constrained by the physical
size of the map window and requires the additional house keeping steps.

qgis2web or QTiles or OGR2Tiles as plugins do something like this
internally but I could not find a plugin which just generates a regular
raster layer (say geotiff).

I also know I could probably produce a short Python script (perhaps as
processing script) to do this but still think I am missing something ?

Any help or hint much welcome,

Andreas