[Qgis-user] Measurement differences between GIS and paper space.

Tyler Veinot tylerkveinot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:03:10 PDT 2018

Hello;
I am using a stereographic projection in QGIS, EPSG 2954 to be specific
PEI, and I noticed that when I measure distances in the map using GRS80
ellipsoid they are quite different from when I print it out on paper at say
1:500 and measure with a scale. For example a pipe segment in the GIS
measured 86m but when printed and measured with a scale it showed up as
96m. Did the same thing in a PDF and used the PDF measure and scale tools
with the same result. Got nearly the same result in ArcMap as well. It
seems like that is quite a lot of discrepancy and I am wondering if anyone
has any insights on this?
Thanks