[Qgis-user] Using GPS in QGIS Python

Sebastian Berg tornado2002 at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 03:36:24 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

I am new to the list but using QGIS for some time now.
Currently I try to write my own small QGIS Python plugin for some of my
tasks. In the plugin I need to access my current location using an
external GPS device. The device is connected to QGIS and I can access
the location in the GPS-Widget.

Is there a way to access the status and the XY-Coordinates from the
existing connection via Python?

In addition is there a working example establishing a GPS connection to
a given port with Python in QGIS 3? I found several tasks on this topic
using QGIS 2, but I was not able to redo them in QGIS 3.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Sebastian