[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.2 installer doesn't find Python 3.6 on Mac?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 10 06:24:08 PDT 2018

More specifically, QGIS links to the Python binary, and a specific major version (ie 3.6 at this time), so a newer major version cannot be dropped in as an upgrade.

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 1:46 AM, Rémi Desgrange <Remi.Desgrange at fibrea.net> wrote:
>
> You need python3.6. Not 3.7.
>
> Cordialement, Rémi Desgrange
>

> Le 09/07/2018 18:45, « Qgis-user au nom de MacQueen, Don » <qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org au nom de macqueen1 at llnl.gov> a écrit :
>
>    Hi,
>
>    I have (finally) upgraded my MacOS to 10.13.5, and am reinstalling/updating various apps, including QGIS.
>
>    When I try to install QGIS (step 3 on the QGIS dmg, after having done steps 1 and 2 in order), I get the message
>       "QGIS requires Python 3.6"
>
>    Apparently, the QGIS installer isn't finding the newly installed Python 3.7.
>    Strikes me as a path problem. I'd appreciate help solving it.
>
>    Thanks!
>    -Don
>

>    More detail:
>
>    I downloaded
>       QGIS-macOS-3.2.0-1.dmg
>    from the QGIS website, and followed its instructions in order, including
>      1. install Python 3
>      2. Install GDAL complete
>
>    I first installed Python from
>       python-3.7.0-macosx10.9.pkg
>    which I found following the links in the step 1 readme.
>    I ran the
>       "Update Shell Profile.command"
>    script provided with Python3.
>    I then installed GDAL complete.
>
>    After having done all that:
>
>    In Terminal.app, I get
>
>    [8]% which python3
>    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3
>
>    [9]% which python
>    /usr/bin/python
>    [10]% python --version
>    Python 2.7.10
>
>    I have tried logging out and logging in, and even restarting. Didn't help.
>

>    --
>    Don MacQueen
>    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>    7000 East Ave., L-627
>    Livermore, CA 94550
>    925-423-1062
>    Lab cell 925-724-7509

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe