[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.18 vs. QGIS 3

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Mar 1 01:37:10 PST 2018

Hi Strumbi,

They can be installed and run in parallel. They have independent settings.

The only restriction is: once you have saved a project in QGIS 3, there
may be no way back to 2.18.

The other thing to watch out is plugins or Python code: plugins and
Python code from QGIS 2.x don't run in QGIS 3.x. They have to be revised
because of the change from Python 2 to Python 3 and qt4 to qt5. In
addition, the QGIS API changed considerably. Theoretically, a plugin can
be written to work in both QGIS 2 and QGIS 3, but in practice, such
plugins don't exist very often.

Greetings,

Andreas