[Qgis-user] Mac OS X MacPorts installation for QGIS 3 beta

John Harrop jcharrop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:37:59 PST 2018

The following notes are based on an install on a clean iMac (the disk has just been replaced) running High Sierra (10.13.3).  The installation was done using MacPorts and their qgis3 port.  When I describe more than one install method, the first one is the one I used.  These is no reason to be a programmer to run through this installation procedure.  Some will need to be done from the command line, so you should locate Terminal if you don’t already have it on your Dock.  You should find it in the Other directory in your Applications.

 If you really want to look cool and impress coworkers, significant others, kids or pets change the Profile under Preferences to “Homebrew”.  Then, also in the Profile dialog, click on the colour box beside “Color & Effects” and slide the opacity over to something like 70%.  Open a new terminal (Cmd-n) to see the effects and I’m sure you will feel you fir right into Mr. Robot, Person of Interest, or Matrix (depending on your age ;-)

The code you type into the terminal window is all in fixed width font to make is distinct from the instruction.  I show sudo in front of all commands that might need it to write or edit files in areas only controlled by the administrator.  Hopefully your user has administrative status; if not you will need the password for one that does.  The sudo command has a timer during which is will continue to execute privileged commands.  If you take a break between commands for any reason this may time out.  It never hurts to include the sudo at the from of the command.  If the timer has not run out it will not ask for a password.

1. Install latest MacPorts (currently 2.4.2) - they hive detailed documentation on this at macports.org <http://macports.org/> and I’ll summarize here.

1a.  Install Xcode if it not already on your system.  This is a big install, and will use a fair bit of memory and download time.  If you do not plan on building again, I believe you can remove this from your machine if you need the space later.  There are two install methods:

1a i) App Store.  Find it under Developer Apps or Apps by Apple.

1a ii) Apple Developer Web Site - not sure when this would be easier and you would need to register.  The download speed might be faster than App Store.

This is a long download and install time.  You are probably looking at more than a coffee break, at least a meal, and perhaps overnight.

1b.  Once Xcode is installed you will still need to install the command line tools.

1b i) Open a terminal and run:  xcode-select —install You will be asked if you want to install the tools now. (That is a double dash “—: not a single dash in the option.)

1b ii) Also available at the Apple Developers site.

This should be quite a fast install.

1c.  Now we install the MacPorts package by downloading the one for your version of Mac OS X from macports.org <http://macports.org/>  This is also a fairly fast install.

Once the development tools and MacPorts are installed we need to update the terminal (shell session) we are working in to reflect this.  If you enter echo $PATH you will see the search path used to find executable programs.  MacPorts will not yet be included.

1c i) run: export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH and after that run echo $PATH again to confirm PATH was changed.

1c ii) or open a new terminal window (Cmd-n) which will execute the newly updated .profile file and that will also result in the updated PATH which includes the MacPorts directories.  You will continue in the new window only.

1d. We need to accept the Xcode licence before we can continue with the build of qgis3

1d i) run sudo xcodebuild —license (notice that is license not licence).  Scroll through the agreement using space bar (since that is faster than enter) and type “agree”. (That is a double dash “—: not a single dash in the option.)

1d ii) open Xcode as an application and accept the licence agreement.

Now we are on to part 2 - actually running the MacPorts configure-build-install of QGIS 3; what we have been waiting for!

2)  run sudo port install qgis3

That’s it.The port configuration stage will build a list of dependancies not already installed, which should be quite a lot.  It will ask before it starts to download and install the list.  This may take a while depending on Internet speeds and how much needs to be installed.  It may need to build (compile) some of these components.  Following that it will download and build QGIS and if that is successful it will be installed into your Applications.  The configure-build-install can take a while even with no errors.  This is at least a coffee break, maybe a meal.

Fixes and Workarounds

If everything goes well you should see messages like this for each component:

--->  Fetching archive for bison-runtime
--->  Attempting to fetch bison-runtime-3.0.4_2.darwin_17.noarch.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/bison-runtime
--->  Attempting to fetch bison-runtime-3.0.4_2.darwin_17.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/bison-runtime
--->  Installing bison-runtime @3.0.4_2
--->  Activating bison-runtime @3.0.4_2
--->  Cleaning bison-runtime

Notice it tried to download from two sites.  The first one did not work for whatever reason, but the second did.  This is common and sometimes it may take several tries to find a site that works.  This is part of the heavy lifting that MacPorts is taking care of for you and is not a problem.

The download of a dependancy may fail due to slow speed or a bad error check after the download.

--->  Fetching distfiles for py36-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz from https://distfiles.macports.org/py-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz from http://superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.net/pyqt
--->  Verifying checksums for py36-pyqt5
Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz
Error: Checksum (sha256) mismatch for PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz
***
The non-matching file appears to be HTML. See this page for possible reasons
for the checksum mismatch:
<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MisbehavingServers>
***
The file has been moved to: /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/py-pyqt5/PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz.html
Error: Failed to checksum py36-pyqt5: Unable to verify file checksums
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-pyqt5/py36-pyqt5/main.log for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port qgis3 failed

Don’t panic.  The solution is often quite simple.  But you must clean this first.  If you do not, then the bad download will not be replaced and the error will just keep on being displayed.  As you can see in the above example I had this error on py36-pyqt5 and the following solved the problem.  Repeat this for other components that have similar fails.

sudo port clean py36-pyqt5
sudo port install py36-pyqt5
sudo port install qgis3

You could skip the second line, but I like doing it explicitly rather than waiting for the dependence calculation if you start the full qugis3 install.

Here is the output from the py36-pyqt5 when it subsequently ran correctly.  Notice if you are interested the changes in the download site.

--->  Computing dependencies for py36-pyqt5
--->  Fetching archive for py36-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch py36-pyqt5-5.10_0.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/py36-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch py36-pyqt5-5.10_0.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://sea.us.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/py36-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch py36-pyqt5-5.10_0.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://ywg.ca.packages.macports.org/mirror/macports/packages/py36-pyqt5
--->  Fetching distfiles for py36-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz from https://distfiles.macports.org/py-pyqt5
--->  Attempting to fetch PyQt5_gpl-5.10.tar.gz from http://superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.net/pyqt
--->  Verifying checksums for py36-pyqt5
--->  Extracting py36-pyqt5
--->  Applying patches to py36-pyqt5
--->  Configuring py36-pyqt5
--->  Building py36-pyqt5