[Qgis-user] Drill hole section with QGIS 3

John Harrop jcharrop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:46:44 PDT 2018

It looks like no one has been answering this for you yet and I’m just catching up on a few days emails after my computer was in the shop.

There is active interest in developing a drill hole plugin for QGIS3 now that 3D is more fully supported.  I also work with drill holes and have been running them in QGIS fairly easily in plan view where I just calculate traces to a plan view (either in a spreadsheet or using code) and apply theme patterns based on the attributes I kept with the segments.  This has worked reasonable well with grade and lithology which are two of the main things you want to see.

Cross sections have been harder, but those are still “maps” in non-Earth coordinates.  Again I’ve tended to build those with projections to a plane in either a spreadsheet or by code.  This is not as easy to work with as plan view so I am very interested in seeing the developing interest in getting a drill hole section plugin for QGIS.  That will really finalize QGIS as the logical choice for geological exploration work.

I’ve cc’ed the others I know using QGIS so I hope you can be included in the list of interested users.

Regards,

John Harrop, PGeo, FGS
Senior Project Geologist
Coast Mountain Geological Ltd