[Qgis-user] North arrow in QGIS

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed Feb 13 01:01:39 PST 2019

Hi,

Am 13.02.2019 um 09:49 schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde:
> On 2/13/19 9:30 AM, Werner Macho wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while I see that a lot of "other" GIS Software has its own button for
>> north arrows I am against adding a north-arrow button.
>>
>> reasons:
>> While this is one of the few points which is not intuitive at a first
>> glance the user has to learn how to add the north arrow (and learn that
>> a north arrow is nothing else than an ordinary image).
>
> To be honest I'm not so much a user of the Layout-part of QGIS, but
> shouldn't the a North arrow be an essential property of a map,

IMHO not, if north is at the top of the map; yes if otherwise

> AND
> should the North-arrow not always point to the North of the given crs?

yes

> Trying out here in a layout, if I rotate the map 10 degrees, the arrow
> image is fixed to top. Or do I miss something, like that you can 'fix an
> image to the north' or so?

you have to connect the image with that map, so if the map is rotated so
is the image (aka north arrow)

> Another question that pops up: are all crs's always pointing to 0
> degrees North? And if not is a crs aware of that?

There exist three different north directions:
a) magnetic north (probably not of interest here)
b) geographic north, i.e. the North Pole
c) map or crs north

depending on the crs b and c may be identical

the north arrow should point to c, but depending on the crs c may differ
at different places in the map

> If so I would opt for either some function to have an intelligent North
> Arrow in layouts (which are aware of crs, so rotate with map), and which
> can reuse the image dialogs?
> Or add such intelligence to the already image props (besides a North
> arrow I can think about images of a ground level which always have to be
> horizontal or so)?
>
> Sorry for popping up this questions...
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

coming back to the original question: I would not mind to have an
additional button for the north arrow, which would be a shortcut to
create the image, choose a default north-arrow svg and connect it with
the map.

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 18866 (20190213) __________

http://www.eset.com