[Qgis-user] (Newbie) Looking for best practices to have data accessible to users

reqman reqman at freemail.gr
Thu Jul 4 01:13:43 PDT 2019

Hello again,

I've got a small department of 5 topographers, starting to use QGIS 3
as a platform, they are not GIS-savvy, which is definitely a problem
here (not a topographer here), so I'm trying my best to gather some
wisdom on how to make things work here.

Specifically, these users basically obtain data from quite
heterogeneous sources: geodatabases (MDB files, IIRC), shapefiles, WMS
services and, added to the mix recently, geotiff files. All these come
from ArcGIS platforms (which is definitely a pity...)

QGIS definitely seems to be able to juggle all these formats. However,
I'm looking for ways to "ease" things for the users. Is there a best
practice of sorts to convert and upload all or some of these data to
an RDBMS? I was thinking along the lines of having *everything* in a
single database (by some sort of conversion). It buffles me here a
bit, because things are not included in a single, portable "container"
(like a .doc/.dwg document for example), but rather (q)gis grabs data
from wherever they are...

I'm still looking for a user's guide for the total newbie in Greek
(unfortunately most of my users do not speak English, which is a huge
handicap), there are a number of sources, but nothing entry-level and
step-by-step.

I'm sorry I can't be more "descriptive" than that, I just hope that
the spirit of my question is clear enough.

Thanks in advance!

Michael.-