[Qgis-user] GDAL locks and filetype support

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Thu Jul 4 07:35:49 PDT 2019

Hi,

Following on from my previous email it is clear that quite a bit of work would be required to substantially change the way that QGIS / GDAL is opening MapInfo tab files (and probably other formats as well). We are interested in crowd funding the fix so please get in touch if you are interested and I'll see if I can setup something.

However, in the short term I wondered if there is a setting I can use to block MapInfo tab files altogether. We want to ban our users from using them in QGIS altogether and push them to use database source layers instead as this seems to be the safest format.

Does anyone know if there is a list I can modify to remove MapInfo tab file till we have a fix?

I had been recommending GeoPackages but to be honest they are more of a nightmare than TAB files on our networked Windows environment. We  have found that two users accessing the same GeoPackage can occasionally lock each other out but that is even worse in that there is no way to stop QGIS. I have had to physically turn off the offending PC to get it to drop the file and restore access to other users. It locks out on the operating system so that makes me even more worried about recommending its use.

I'm a massive advocate of QGIS and working hard to roll it out but it's been a bad couple of weeks with file locks disrupting our users. I'm hoping the database file format (Oracle) will be safe!

If anyone else is having similar issues I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks,

Paul Wittle
GIS Developer
ICT Services

Dorset Council

01305 228473
dorsetcouncil.gov.uk<http://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk>

Facebook.com/DorsetCouncilUK<https://www.facebook.com/DorsetCouncilUK>
Twitter.com/DorsetCouncilUK<https://twitter.com/DorsetCouncilUK>
Instagram.com/DorsetCouncilUK<https://www.instagram.com/DorsetCouncilUK/>

To receive the latest news from Dorset Council by email, visit
dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/e-newsletter<https://dorsetcouncil.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=c39535cf4f9d1ca66af8d2b44&id=bc36c80975>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/416433