[Qgis-user] problems with raster (merge, clip) and crash dumped

Azzurra Lentini lentini.azzurra at polymtl.ca
Tue May 7 06:56:31 PDT 2019

Hi to all,
I am using for my Bachelor classes in university  qgis 2.18 but some
of my students have the  problems below.
They even format the computer completely and the reinstall windows 10
+ the softwarer qgis (they even tried different versions of Qgis
2.18) but they still have these problems (I never had these problems
in my computers with the same versions of Qgis and with other versions).
In the new version of QGIS is better but still (in the same computers)
  as well as is in my computer with the same versions (for example the
merge is not perfect because the file are still separated! so I dont
think is a problem of which version they use.

ERRORS:
When they upload files RASTER with extension  .asc they have the
yellow message: Python error: an error has occurred while executing
Python code

They can see well the file .asc in the project but they can not do
MERGE  and CLIP.

MERGE
Normally they try to do the Merge of different ASC files with
Raster/Miscellaneous/Merge and the error message is:
error 4C... no such file

Normally they try to do the clip of raster files .TIFF from
Raster/Extraction/CLIPPER and the error message is:
"ascii" codec cant encode character u'/xe0' in position 60: ordinal
not in range (128) ...

So I don't understand what can I do, because they have also formatted
and cleaned the computers and in my computer and in some other
computers everything is fine with the same versions and commands.

Another problem that is also in some other computers is that when they
exit from the project, they have this error message (that close the
project without saving):
CRASH DUMPED : minidump written to C ...

Thank you for any suggestion.

Azzurra