[Qgis-user] WMS "Add Default Servers"

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon May 13 07:13:33 PDT 2019

Hi Paulo,

(Heading offtopic here)

I think a QGIS plugin for GeoSeer would be extremely useful and is
definitely something I've considered. If done properly it would /greatly
/improve the process of adding OGC services to QGIS and immeasurably
improve the process of finding and adding them ...

...but it's an issue of funding. GeoSeer has no adverts because
web-adverts are Bad(tm) - I morally disagree with them - so GeoSeer
currently costs me money to run, and that's ignoring my considerable
time cost to develop and maintain it! Remember, this is an ongoing
service, not a one-time-develop thing. The business model behind making
it self-sustaining is the (new!) API to search the database (
https://www.geoseer.net/api.php ), and this is paid-for. A QGIS plugin
could easily use this API - that's what it's designed for - but as
noted, the API is meant to be paid-for.

So if a plugin were used, it would either need some sort of ongoing
funding to use the API, or users would have to buy their own API keys to
use with the plugin, or I'd have to provide it free like I do with the
web-search. While I'd like to do the free option, you can't pay rent
with good-will.

Until I figure out a solution to this conundrum, and/or someone offers
me funding for it, and/or the PSC wants to discuss it, I figure the free
yes-really-not-even-selling-your-personal-information-like-google-does
web search is a good starting point for users. I'm very open to
suggestions for how to make it possible.

Cheers,

Jonathan