[Qgis-user] Duplicate feature

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Dec 8 17:07:38 PST 2020

Not having digitized in a while, I now stumbled upon a feature which I
neither understand/get to work nor understand/find documentation.

When right-clicking on a feature in the attribute table, there is now a
context menu with two entries:

"Duplicate feature" and "Duplicate feature and Digitize" When using the
first, a new entry is created in the attribute table, but zooming to the
feature it sais: WARNING Zoom to feature id failed : Feature does not
have a geometry

I guess that "Duplicate feature and Digitize" is handy for digitizing a
new object with the same attributes as the original one where the action
started.

But what the heck is the purpose of "Duplicate", when it only produces
an entry in the attribute table, but no geometry?

Actually I could use a reliable tool to copy a set of constructed
rectangels which I need in multiple places. "Duplicate feature " seems
not to be meant for that, right?

Cheers,

Bernd