[Qgis-user] Several users working with one project file - warning

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:29:20 PST 2020

Roland, Nicole and list,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 08:08 Roland Berger <roland.berger at steinerpartner.com>
wrote:

> Hi Nicole
>
> An other idea is to use a version control system where you need to
> check-in and check-out the projects. https://www.perforce.com/ has this
> kind of feature.
> But this would add another system to your infrastructure and as such it is
> not a light weight solution for you problem.
>
> Best Roland
>
> On 12/15/20 4:49 PM, Nicole Stoffels wrote:
>

> Dear QGIS-users,
>
> we are several people, sometimes working on the same QGIS-project without
> knowing it. Unfortunately you never get a warning that anyone else is
> currently working on the project, when opening the project file. That is
> why I would like to generate a warning, that person xy is working on the
> project.
>
> I did some research and came to this page, where the suggestion is to
> write a macro, which looks for lock files in the project directory:
>
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/186309/open-qgis-project-files-in-exclusive-mode-alert-if-project-file-already-in-use
>

> Moreover this was already an issue 4 years ago:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/14717
>
> Seems that it has not been fixed yet?
>

> Unfortunately my QGIS does not even write a lock file in the working
> directory. And I always get the warning that macros are currently not
> working.
>

> Do you have any other ideas how to solve this problem? Or any idea, how to
> get QGIS to write this lock file?
>
> If you have several people working on the same project file, Roland's
suggestion is interesting and could have merit, depending on why you are
all working on the same project.

Remember that with version control the steps are generally:

- each user checks out a copy of the shared file from a central server into
a private working directory
- each user commits their changes locally when they are satisfied
- each user pushes the changes back to the central server, which may
require managing conflicts - but here users are aware of the task and
dealing with it, rather than trying to get some piece of code working.

What you probably need to do in this case is decide whether you can work on
separate private copies, periodically merging your changes - a clue would
be that you tend to work on separate "parts" of the project, so that your
changes would tend to be independent and therefore easily merged.

Going back to the lock file business, lock files on network file systems
aren't generally guaranteed to be atomic as far as I know so that might not
be the most reliable approach.