[Qgis-user] Several users working with one project file - warning

Roland Berger roland.berger at steinerpartner.com
Tue Dec 15 08:08:23 PST 2020

Hi Nicole

An other idea is to use a version control system where you need to
check-in and check-out the projects. https://www.perforce.com/ has this
kind of feature.
But this would add another system to your infrastructure and as such it
is not a light weight solution for you problem.

Best Roland

On 12/15/20 4:49 PM, Nicole Stoffels wrote:

> Dear QGIS-users,
>
> we are several people, sometimes working on the same QGIS-project
> without knowing it. Unfortunately you never get a warning that anyone
> else is currently working on the project, when opening the project
> file. That is why I would like to generate a warning, that person xy
> is working on the project.
>
> I did some research and came to this page, where the suggestion is to
> write a macro, which looks for lock files in the project directory:
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/186309/open-qgis-project-files-in-exclusive-mode-alert-if-project-file-already-in-use
>

> Moreover this was already an issue 4 years ago:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/14717
>
> Seems that it has not been fixed yet?
>

> Unfortunately my QGIS does not even write a lock file in the working
> directory. And I always get the warning that macros are currently not
> working.
>

> Do you have any other ideas how to solve this problem? Or any idea,
> how to get QGIS to write this lock file?
>

> I am working with QGIS 3.10.11 on a Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2.
>

> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Nicole Stoffels

*Steiner & Partner Landschaftsarchitektur GmbH**
*Roland Berger - Geschäftsführer Stv.
Waisenhausstrasse 2
CH-3600 Thun
Mobile: +41 79 709 56 89 <tel:+41%2079%20709%2056%2089>
Tel: +41 33 335 76 53 <tel:+41%2033%20335%2076%2053>
www.steinerpartner.com <http://www.steinerpartner.com>