[Qgis-user] Taken photo windows tablet

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Wed Jun 17 15:28:14 PDT 2020

This is a task archaeologists often have to do with hundreds of digital
images of our precious sites.

The starting point is to have geographic data in your image. Typically with
a tablet this would be through a GPS location from your internal GPS which
is subject to all the limitations on hand held GPS's discussed in an earlier
thread. With some photo management programs you can add locational data to
the image EXIF metadata. I use Photo Mechanic and the set GPS sub-program
opens a Google maps window and you can click on the desired location and it
will set it in the image metadata.

With Photo Mechanic you can export the data as a CSV delimited file then
upload to QGIS and you get a point file of locations or as Nicholas said
there is an Import Photos plugin that imports geotagged photos. I have only
used it once so I cannot tell whether it works for large numbers of images.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397