[Qgis-user] Using relations and transaction groups

Rhys A.D. Stewart rhys.stewart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:23:57 PST 2020

Greetings All,

I'm working with transaction groups and tables with relations (database
foreign keys). Let's say that there are two tables, 'building_footprints'
and 'windows'. The windows table references the 'building_footprints'
table. I've added the relations in QGIS through the Project properties |
relations dialog so that when editing 'building_footprints' I can add a
child record for 'windows'. Now because I have transaction groups active,
the changes are pushed back to the database immediately, if I create a
child record before saving the parent record this causes a problem because
the parent record doesn't exist. It is often the case that I am going to
add child records when I'm creating the parent record, so adding a parent
record, saving it, then editing it just to add the child record becomes
cumbersome.

I figured that someone must've had this issue before, but can't seem to
find any documentation about this. Is there a workaround for this? (other
than not using transaction groups and saving each layer individually)  Or
have I just missed something extremely obvious?

Rhys
Peace & Love | Live Long & Prosper