[Qgis-user] Buffer by Attribute Issue

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:49:50 PST 2021

Peter and list

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:08 AM Peter Devanney <peter at devanney.ca> wrote:

> Chris
>
> The buffer input is a point the lat and long are Doubles. The buffer
> distance variable is a Double. Using EPSG 3857 for all.

I just created a point shapefile in EPSG:3857, added a field called
"bufferdist", added three points with bufferdist set to 1000, 2000 and 5000
respectively.

EPSG:3857 is in metres, are readily visible and as far as I can tell from
measuring the buffers were correctly created in the correct size.

In the buffer dialogue did you click on the button next to the distance /
units pair and next to "field type >" select your field, which would
deactivate the distance / units pair?

Your mention of "lat and long" troubles me.  EPSG:3857 is a projected
coordinate system, not a lat/lon system.