[Qgis-user] adding a simple filled polygon

Johan De Groote Johan.de.groote at quirinus.one
Fri Dec 17 02:10:08 PST 2021

Hello, I'm new to QGIS (and gis in general). For the job I need to make events logged form a GPS visible on a map. The events are when we enter or leave a zone defined as a polygon.

I managed to get the openstreet view in the background and each type of events (entering and leaving) on a separate layer. This worked fine following a tutorial I found on the net. Just what I need.

But now I want to enter the zones. These are defined as polygons with each cornerpoint defined by GPS coordinates. I have already set those points on a separate layer. Now I read the handbook but it is not very clear. It starts with adding a new shape layer (ok). But then it gets very muddly for me. I tried a tutorial but this is for older versions of QGIS (just as the training manual on the QGIS website) and they talk about "click the add a polygon icon" which isn't to be found.

So is there somewher a tutorial on how to add a filled polygon on a map when you have the points as GPS coordinates? I can add the polygon capturing the points on the map, that kind of precision is acceptable for my needs.

Thanks,
Johan

Using:

QGIS version