[Qgis-user] Do GPX files contain CRS information?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 21:02:58 PST 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 14:59, jeremy benwell <jeremybenwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if GPX files contain CRS information? I saved some waypoints in my garmin gps and then used GPSBabel to upload those waypoints to my computer and create a GPX file. The map datum on my gps was set to GDA 94. Does my GPX file contain the CRS that my GPS was set to when I saved the waypoints (i.e. GDA 94) and if so do I need to make sure my QGIS project CRS is set to GDA 94 also?

No, they don't store CRS. Definitely make sure you set the crs to
GDA94 (but only when the gps was explicitly set to this datum!!). I'd
suggest re-saving the gpx to a format like gpkg which can store the
gda94 crs correctly, so that the dataset will open in future with the
correct CRS and you won't run into issues later.
(GPX files are just text files -- you can open to verify this!)

Nyall