[Qgis-user] Trimble GeoXT 2005 Accuracy

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Sun Mar 7 03:54:47 PST 2021

Hi Springer.I assume your raw data files are being converted to gpx on  a computer since the raw terrasync files are proprietary binary files. If you are using trimble pathfinder, you can post process differentialy correct the data if you have access to  base station logged at the same time you captured your field data.  Having a base station 100 miles away will not improve your results as the baseline is too long.I do not know if you can write a gpx file directly from pathfinder but I would not bother. I would write a shapefile which will contain the coordinate system you specify.  Simply open in qgis and you should be good to go. If your older unit works better, I would expect it may be an issue with the setup within pathfinder or perhaps the software version.I think your consistent offset is a direct result of how you are converting your data from trimble to gpx.As I mentioned in my previous comments, there are many issues which affect accuracy.  Just because the box says it is accurate  you will rarely replicate that in the field.  In terms of WAAS dataframes, these are processed internally on your field unit.Kirk Schmidt Sent from my Galaxy
    Hello All,

      Thanks for the comments, I'll reply more fully tomorrow.

      The receiver is Trimble mapping grade:

      "The GeoExplorer 2005 series consists of:
      • The GeoXH™ handheld, providing subfoot (30 cm) accuracy, or even
      8-inch (20 cm) accuracy
      with the optional Zephyr™ antenna.
      • The GeoXT™ handheld offering submeter accuracy for GIS data
      collection and data
      maintenance.
      • The GeoXM™ handheld with 1–3 meter GPS accuracy for mobile GIS
      applications."

      "Post processed carrier accuracy: 1-30cm".  This receiver was
      probably $5-8000 (?) new.

      Data collection was stationary, open sky, good satellite
        coverage, several minutes of 5 sec observations, good PDOP
      SBAS and/or post processed

    The concern is not the accuracy as such, but the systematic NW
      shift.  This has been observed over several months, consistently.
      My old Trimble ProXR (1994?, $20K new!) is actually better in this
      regard than the GeoXT!

      The Trimble manuals make no mention of the SBAS CRS, implying
      "turn it on and go, the receiver will integrate the SBAS into the
      rover file."

      More tomorrow, thanks . . . . .

    -----
Cheers, Spring