[Qgis-user] Create circle with diameter in QGIS

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Fri Mar 12 05:24:42 PST 2021

Dear Madeline,
you may start with a point layer : the point(s) as the mid point(s) of your
circle(s).
Then you can draw a buffer of a certain distance with the buffer tool
(geoprocessing tools) around your point(s). In case of a buffer for points
the distance is the same as the radius of the circle you are searching for.

Attention: the segments parameter controls the number of line segments to
use in oder to approximate a circle when creating rounded offsets. More
segments mean a closer approximation. Be aware that a shapefile cannot save
a true circle by nature but only an approximation to a circle with straight
segments.

With the multi-ring buffer tool you might create more than one buffer at a
time around your point(s), so you could get as many rings (circles) around
your point(s) as you like. Certainly you have to determine the distance
between the circles you want to get. The output of the buffer tools have
automatically a polygon geometry.

Regards, Christine

Madeline Krohn wrote