[Qgis-user] RAM and processing speed requirements for QGIS (Helena Farrell)

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Tue Apr 19 15:10:05 PDT 2022

Helena Farrell wrote:
> Hello, I am seeking input on whether my 7 year old Mac with 8GB RAM and a
> 2.7gigahertz processor is likely to perform poorly at running QGIS. Since
> these are like the bare minimum in terms of power, and I assume QGIS is a
> data-heavy program, I may need to invest in a new computer. Anyone have
> advice on RAM and processing speed specifications  that I should look for
> and whether a PC be better than a Mac for running this program?
I am running QGIS on a 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7) with 8 GB
RAM running OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

I use multiple vector layers plus a buildings layer, DEM, areal
photography (color 1 foot res) covering a 30 square mile area.

Performance seems excellent.

I have replaced my hard drive with SSD which may be making a significant
difference.

I recommend trying QGIS on your old Mac - you may be surprised...

Cordially,
Garth Fletcher