[Qgis-user] QGIS and geopackages in sharepoint environement

Gert-Jan van der Weijden (GISNederland) gert-jan at gisnederland.nl
Fri Aug 5 12:20:28 PDT 2022

Hi,

My employer is moving from "traditional" network shares to a 100%
Sharepoint/MS Teams solution.

The idea behind Sharepoint (and OneDrive) is that the content (files) is
synchronised between server and local PC's.
1. For large files this means a lot of network traffic on each single edit.

2. The path to a dataset (geopackage, shapefile, geotiff) to be used in
a QGis project (.qgz) is the local path b(c:\users\*joe*\data\etc).
However, when Joe's college Jane opens this QGis project the next day,
the data is synchronized to her local path (c:\users\jane\data\etc.),
but the QGis project file (.qgz) is still pointing to c:\users\joe,
which doesn't exist on Jane's laptop)

Solutions?
a. Microsoft used to advertise a way to make drive mappings to
Sharepoint sites. That solution was based upon an Internet Explorer
library, and is no longer supported. I tried to use it; it's clumsy and
unreliable.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/map-a-network-drive-to-a-sharepoint-library-751148de-f579-42f9-bc8c-fcd80ccf0f53

b. 3rd party solutions like ZeeDrive
(https://www.thinkscape.com/Map-Network-Drives-To-Office-365-OneDrive/)
and CloudDriveMapper (https://www.iamcloud.com/cloud-drive-mapper/).

I haven't tried these solutions yet, bu will do so somewhere this month.

By the way, also on the "commercial side of Planet GIS" (Esri's ArcGIS)
there's no solution for this problem (yet):
https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000025605

The problems as described on that Esri support page are prette much the
same as in QGis+Sharepoint.
The so-called "solution or workaround" is hardly to be taken seriously
by a professional GIS user

Apart from the Sharepoint-problems as described above, Geopackages are
not designed for a multi-user environment.

Kind regards,

Gert-Jan