[Qgis-user] QGIS and geopackages in sharepoint environement

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:32:11 PDT 2022

Oops I spoke to soon, please see below...

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 2:27 PM chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sebastian and list,
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM Sebastian Gutwein <bas at rdgland.com> wrote:
>
>> Although it is not recommended we use google drive and as of the latest
>> release it works ok for most files including Geopackage. In past versions
>> any time a layer on a geopackage was opened this would cause the file to be
>> marked as changed and upload the whole file. In the current version (3.26)
>> this only happens when edit mode is turned on. However saving after edits
>> is much slower when it is in the Google drive. It appears that the .wal
>> file decides to load the entire file into itself when in the google drive
>> before writing the change to the file.  Of course this doesn't prevent
>> people from overwriting each other's changes if two people are concurrently
>> editing on different machines.
>> The file path doesn't seem to be a problem if the files are in the same
>> location relative to the project file on different machines.
>> I would be interested if at some point someone created a solution that
>> allowed for diffs on geopackages using Lutra's
>> https://github.com/MerginMaps/geodiff . I imagine if that worked there
>> would be an cloud unsynced local version and a cloud synced local version
>> that you could trigger a diff operation against.
>>

> The problem with Google Drive is actually a problem with Google Drive for
> Desktop, which is a "file streaming application" and not with the other
> approach which is synchronization, similar to Dropbox.  In the
> synchronization approach your changed files on your computer are backed up
> to the cloud Google Drive.
>
> Google Drive for Desktop is a plugin for Windows Navigator that makes
> files in Google Drive appear as though they are on your computer in the G:
> drive (or wherever else you might set it up).  If you double-click on one
> of those files, say foo.docx, then that file will open in Word.  But if you
> use QGIS to add a layer, the file names that appear in the  "Open OGR
> Vector Layer" window (for example) don't look like what you might expect.
>
> *Note I just tried this on Ubuntu 22.04 with QGIS 3.26.1 and WHOOPS it
> looks to be working here, so maybe it's not an issue in Windows any longer
> either.*
>

> I was wrong there.

Things look good until I picked a .shp file to show; the file name that
came up was a great long thing with lots of x's and y's and what not and
QGIS would not open it.

Anyway this is Ubuntu not Windows so YMMV.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.