[Qgis-user] QGIS and geopackages in sharepoint environement

John Layt j.layt at lparchaeology.com
Mon Aug 8 02:03:00 PDT 2022

Hi,

We use Google Drive on Macs for shapefile and GeoPackages. The first thing
we always tell our users is to set the files to Available Offline, so all
reads/writes are local before being synced up to the cloud. That reduces
issues, but all the obvious ones around file corruption and overwriting
still apply. As mentioned, GDAL/QGIS did use to always write the lockfile
inside whenever anyone opened a geopackage, which would cause the file to
sync back to the cloud and flood your bandwidth, which is a real pain. That
has changed, but it doesn't solve the multiple-users overwriting issue
though. My long-term solution was going to be building a proper geospatial
infrastructure with MerginMaps and PostGIS so people 'check-out' the
geopackages they needed, then merged them back in. Sadly we've just been
sold to an ESRI-using company, so that will never happen, however they do
use Sharepoint so maybe I'll find out if that's any better than Drive in my
near future.

Cheers!

John.