[Qgis-user] Shape of parcel

Jon jonr at destar.net
Fri Aug 12 09:14:49 PDT 2022

All,

Thank you for the help on my question. I am very new to QGIS and only
use it for very simple tasks that I can figure out. It took a bit but I
was able to do some of the things suggested from the group.

1. I was able to do as Gert-Jan van der Weijden suggested using
"Minimum Boundary Geometry". I think "Oriented Minimum Bounding Box"
works on all shapes in a shape file where the former puts a box around
the entire shape file. These were found in the Processing Toolbox, it
gets close but is lacking accuracy as it puts the minimum box required
to enclose the shape, so irregular shapes will not fit inside
perfectly. But it does get me a lot closer to where I was before and
only irregular shapes have an issue.

2. I also figured out how to do what Hernan De Angelis was alluding
to...I think. This involved using Polygons to Lines and then from there
using Explode Lines. This actually gave the correct length of the lines
but it measured, I believe, on the outside of the shape rather than
measuring distance from the inside of the shape. Because of measuring
on the outside, if two intersecting lines it would break the
measurement up into multiple measurements.

Also for 2, was not able to figure out how to add the new dimensions to
an Attribute Table that I could then export.

Jon