[Qgis-user] Airborne camera rectification

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Fri Dec 30 13:56:20 PST 2022

Hi Scott. A couple of technical points to consider:What is the accuracy of the imu on the camera?  0.1 degrees at 30 km results in a lot of error.  Do you have the interior orientation of the camera? This is the lens distortion which makes up a critical part if the orthorectification process.The grass library has a number of ortho tools that may suite your purposes (i.ortho).Simple manual georeferencing may also meet your requirements.Feel free to reach out to me privately if you have any questions.Kirk Schmidt Nortek Resource Solutions Inc.kirk@ nortekresources.comSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: "Madry, Scott via QGIS-User" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> Date: 2022-12-30  3:48 p.m.  (GMT-04:00) To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org Subject: [Qgis-user] Airborne camera rectification
Hello list. First of all, thanks to all of you for helping make the QGIS community the very special thing that it is.

I will be involved in a stratospheric balloon launch in January (altitude ~30 km), and it will have a nadir-pointing RGB camera that
 will have it’s images telemetered to the ground. It is nadir-pointing, but will have random swaying motion in all axes. Does anyone have experience in reading the 6 parameters of exterior orientation (X, Y,
 Z, w, f, k (Rotations about x, y, z axes respectively)) from the EXIF header attached to the JPEG and using
 it to georectify the images as well as can be done in QGIS? We are hoping to compare the various images at different altitudes with satellite imagery acquired at about the same time.

Thank you so much, and happy new year to everyone!

Scott

Scott Madry, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor of Archaeology

Tel         1-919-448-4493
Email:    madrys at email.unc.edu
https://scottmadry.web.unc.edu
Skype:   scott madry