[Qgis-user] Labeling Lines with Bearings

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:16:26 PST 2022

Hi Spring,

The Shape Tools plugin has several tools for doing this. Once it is
installed here are the options. 1) If you already have a line layer you can
run the following from the QGIS menu "Vector->Shape Tools->Geodesic
measurement layer". Deselect "Measure total length rather than each line
segment" and when you run the algorithm it will give you a table that has
the bearing from the first point to the second point. It automatically
labels it with the distance, but you can click in properties and change it
to the heading_to attribute which is your azimuth.

2) The second method is to use the "Vector->Shape Tools->Geodesic measure
tool". This is a measurement tool like the QGIS measurement tool, but it
also includes "Heading To" and "Heading From". If you click on the "Save to
Layer" button, it saves this to a measurement layer with the azimuths and
distances in the attributes.

I probably should provide an option for the user to select what automatic
labeling displays. Right now it is just the distance, but I could also
allow for azimuth.

I hope that helps.

Calvin