[Qgis-user] linux box accessing project-files on a windows server

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 07:49:55 PST 2022

I did a quick test. I installed QGIS 3.22 on a Windows 7 computer, created
a project. Switched to Linux Mint, used the file manager to navigate to the
Windows computer, double clicked the project and it opened correctly. The
path that QGIS displays in the properties/info panel is:

Path

/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=w7,share=c$/Temp/ASSESSOR_ROADS_2018_3.shp
I went back to the Windows computer, exported the shapefile to a gpkg,
saved the project. Reopened it in Mint, all good. QGIS info for the gpkg
layer:

Path

/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=w7,share=c$/Temp/test.gpkg
I also tested putting the gpkg in a folder below the project file and
that opened correctly on the Linux computer.
So I suggest that you start with a simple test project. Also, the project
.qgz file is just a gzipped xml file. So you can unzip it, open the .qgs
file in a text editor and search for "source=" to see what path info has
been saved with the project.

Rich