[Qgis-user] trouble adding a basemap from a WMTS source

Stephen Sacks ssacks456 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:34:56 PDT 2022

It turns out that my problem is not getting the map from New York's
DOITT, but in re-projecting it from EPSG:900913 to the project's
EPSG:2263.  If I leave it in EPSG:900913 it doesn't disappear.  But I
worry that some trouble may result if my basemap has a different CRS
from all the other layers.

=========================
Original post (7/4/2022, 8:17 PM):
My project CRS is EPSG:2263;  all 21 layers were created in this project
with CRS   EPSG:2263  , which seems appropriate for a public park in
Brooklyn, NY.  If I use Google Satellite Hybrid as basemap, everything
looks to be in the right  place.  I would like to replace the Google
basemap with one of many maps available from the New York City
Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications (DOITT
https://maps.nyc.gov/tiles/#basemap-layers-wmts). But after many tries,
all I get is a totally blank layer.
    Here, in detail, is what I  have done:

1. right-click on WMS/WMTS in browser and choose New Connection
2. name box:  DOITT Monday
3. URL: https://maps.nyc.gov/wmts/1.0.0/?REQUEST=getcapabilities
4. leave configuration default:  No Authentication
     leave HTTP and options blank
5. click OK
6. "DOITT Monday" appears as a new item in browser under WMS/WMTS
7.  there are 15 sub-items under  DOITT Monday.  The CRS for each of
them is EPSG:900913 , although the DOITT web  page led me to expect
4326  or 3857
8. I drag one of them ("basemap") onto the map canvas; right-click on it
and set its CRS to EPSG:2263.  The project CRS remains 2263.
9. I see a msg at the top of the canvas:  "Used a ballpark transform
from EPSG:2263 to EPSG:900913"  , which seems to me to be the opposite
of what I asked for
10.  the added layer appears totally blank.  Toggling its checkmark in
the layer panel has no effect.  Zoom-to-layer makes the scale go to a
nine-digit number.  Zoom to 1:100 has no effect.
11. I tried again, with a new, blank project, with project CRS set to
EPSG:900913.  I added one layer by dragging "basemap" from "DOITT
Monday" onto the canvas.  The canvas remained blank.  I added one small
layer from my real project, transformed it to 900613, and "zoomed  to
layer" so as to focus on part of my park. My  layer appeared but still
no visible basemap.

  What am I doing wrong?   Thanks for any advice.
           Steve