[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 07:31:45 PDT 2022

When it comes to a website, generally, a good way of getting background
maps (rasters) is XYZ tiles or similar with the different zoom levels.
Each higher zoom level doubles the amount of tiles needed, so the way to
avoid too many tiles taking up too much space is to reduce the number of
zoom levels needed to some realistic amount. The tiles are generally all
the same size 256x256 pixels and it works very well in a web client over
all different speeds of connection. You start at the lowest level and
then zoom in to the next level and so on. This is how it is possible to
do it over slow small devices such as phones, only downloading the tiles
that actually need to be displayed at that point.

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to or something that
actually loads in the Qgis canvas, in which case the above might not be
relevant. But I have worked with many raster tiles loaded off the hard
disk as backgrounds and generally there has not been a speed issue for
them. However if you don't have enough RAM, this could create a problem.
If you expect to use a lot of swap then buy a large SSD and set this up
as you swap partition, since it will perform much better than a regular
hard disk.

Also look at what resolution the downloaded imagery is, you may not need
more than 1 metre resolution depending on how much you need to zoom in,
so that you could be able to reduce the filesizes quote a lot.