[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

abru345 at gmx.de abru345 at gmx.de
Sun Jul 10 10:57:01 PDT 2022

Hi Patrick,

thank you for your kind reply.

My goal is  to become completely offline. It does not have to be the
most recent map, but it should be visible on the screen all the time.
E.g., friends of mine live at the countryside and if you want to make a
call at their place with your cellphone, you have to climb on a high
stand they prepared especially for this purpose.

About my hardware, it seems to have enouh RAM, as about 80% is free when
I import the file. Also, the system runs on a SSD and I have no IOwait
at all. The bottleneck seems to be the CPU. It uses only 1 core which
runs at 100% for hours. Until now I was not able to find out what's
going on then. The smallest map I cound find was the one from
Luxembourg, and even then...

But I will try to switch to the most recent QGIS version by using
flatpak. Maybe that changes something.

Andreas