[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

abru345 at gmx.de abru345 at gmx.de
Tue Jul 12 13:04:28 PDT 2022

Thank you!

 > The OSM Liberty style is compatible with OpenMapTiles
 >
 > https://github.com/maputnik/osm-liberty

I saved them locally, then in the Vector Tiles reader Plugin I added
them in the "GL Style JSON URL" field:

file:///home/qgis/style.json

but they are ignored. Even if I enter a web link

https://maputnik.github.io/osm-liberty/style.json

in the same field it is ignored. The checkbox "Apply GL JSON style" is
checked.

Second thing: nearly all the layers of the opened map are temporary,
everything is lost on restart of QGIS. If I make them permanent one by
one, I get a separate file for each layer...

Are there other ways instead of the Vector Tiles Reader plugin to use
the OpenMapTiles? The native Vector Tiles menu does not like offline data.

I also thought about trying Greg Troxels approach taking osm files from
geofabrik, then osm2pgsql but it seems my system has way too much RAM
for the conversion.

Cheers

Andreas