[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

abru345 at gmx.de abru345 at gmx.de
Thu Jul 14 16:35:45 PDT 2022

Hi Paul,

thank you for the links!

Despite this is for Windows (I use Linux), it is for a XYZ tileserver
but I need vector tiles. Raster tiles may be too many for whole Europe
in plenty zoom levels. And I don't know where to get them, as everywhere
I know you can only download small regions; the mentioned link in the
video opentiles.com does not exist any more.

Postgres may not work for me, as I read it needs at least as much RAM as
the file size to import the map into the database. My vector tiles have
20 GB while my PC only 8 GB. It may run out of memory.

But probably this points me to the right direction. I just discovered
there is tileserver-GL https://tileserver.org/ and tileserver-PHP
available and I gave them a try.

Don't know why, but tileserver-gl can not be installed on Linux with nmp
(compile error due to unexpected OS), and there are only the options npm
or Docker. Docker is not in the standard repositories so foreign package
sources shall be added, what I really want to avoid because of the high
security risk. I tried also tileserver-PHP, but strangely as it is
intended as a local installation, it shows not even a configuration
interface without  internet access. It pulls its css and some javascript
from an external server :-/  Also, I can not get it running with the
maptiler .mbtiles because the WMTS capabilities (.mbtiles is read!)
seems to be provided in a wrong syntax.

So, still stuck...

Regards,

Andreas