[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:28:43 PDT 2022

What you are talking about is vector based data which can be put into a
project as either raster tiles generated statically, or vector tiles
generated on the fly, and what you can actually get in practice will
depend on what you have the skill or ability to implement. Implementing
a tileserver of any kind requires quite a skillset.

I would go back to the shapefiles and look at the amount of detail that
is needed at each zoom level. You can implement style rules that work at
different scale levels, meaning the level of detail that is displayed at
a small scale can be simplified quite a lot. I use this for generating
XYZ tiles for a web site I maintain, because zoomed right out at zoom
level 1 (something like a scale of 1:500 000) it is much easier to find
the general area of the map without a lot of unnecessary clutter and has
the bonus of taking less time to render.