[Qgis-user] SOLVED: Offline background map for large regions

abru345 at gmx.de abru345 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 22 12:19:59 PDT 2022

Hi Patrick,

this was the only solution I was able to get working.  So there is not
much to weigh up in my case... I' m just happy that I found something
that runs at least.

I meanwhile also had a look at qmapshack, which can display the various
garmin format maps directly. Whole europe from freizeitkarte-osm or
opentopomap  is ~ 20 GB  (which is 1/6th of my current spatialite db),
is extremely performant with tons of details, beautiful style, and is
easy to handle. It can also display categorized data by the "extra"
fields in gpx standard, but it is missing live update, so I did not go
further into this direction.

Regards

Andreas